When was the first motorway opened? How did the British acquire Hong Kong?
What was the book of sports? What prompted the Cat and Mouse Act?
How long did the Hundred Years War last? Which queen was "nothing so fair as reported?"
Drawing on the highly acclaimed Oxford Companion to British History , A Dictionary of British History , published in the very popular OPR series first in 2001 and now reissued for 2003, is a handy and invaluable reference work essential for anyone with an interest in British history and in need of compact reference source covering 2,000 years of people, events, and places, and political, economic, local, domestic, military, and social change.
In more than 3,600 entries, over 100 specialist contributors describe the people and events that have shaped and defined domestic, political, social, and cultural life in Britain over the past two millennia.
- New entries written on Iain Duncan Smith, terrorism, and Prince William
- Topical entries updated to bring text in line with events up to 2003
- A-Z text details all aspects of British history from 55 BC to the present day
- Useful chronology spanning 2,000 years of history new to the Dictionary and updated for this reissue
- Multi-disciplinary approach to history
- Wide breadth of coverage: people, domestic, and local issues, economic, social, and political history, conflicts and wars
An aparitie: 2004
Autori: John Cannon
Format: 19x14 cm
Nr. pagini: 718
Ultimele produse vizualizate
Scrie un review