Over 378 colour photographs. Over 58 illustrations.
- A fascinating guide to the mythology and religion of ancient Egypt, and to the awe-inspiring temples, tombs and treasures of the world's first great civilization
- A beautifully illustrated, scholarly and accessible celebration of ancient Egypt: home of pyramids, magic, rituals, mummies, pharoahs, dreams and oracles
- An in-depth examination of the crucial role that mythology and religion played in one of the most fascinating periods of history
- Uses original text in the form of books, hymns, prayers, hieroglyphic paintings and archaeological finds, to give an authentic flavour of ancient Egypt
- Describes the elaborate preparations for the afterlife, including burial rituals, symbolic unerary offerings, ceremonies for the dead such as the Weighing of the Heart, and the importance of the spirit world
- Learn about the evolution of humankind according to ancient Egyptian creation myths, and the hierarchical order of the gods, humans and the natural world
- A comprehensive analysis of the gods and goddesses, and their individual roles, appearances, personalities and identifying characteristsics
- A timeline of ancient Egypt charts the events of a society that evolved over 5000 years ago and flourished for three millenia
- 430 colour images in total - maps, floor plans, family trees and line drawings supplement hundreds of full colour photographs to bring the subject vividly to life
is an Egyptologist who studied at University College, University of London (UCL). She currently lectures at UCL, and the Universities of Warwick, Surrey and Reading and has also led study tours around Egypt. She is heavily involved with the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology in London.