The definitive illustrated reference to the world's greatest coins and a professional guide to building a spectacular collection, featuring over 3000 colour images.
Coinage remains an essential part of our everyday financial dealings, yet few of us fully appreciate the wealth of history, technical wizardry and wonder behind these ancient collectables. Coin collecting is one of the world's most popular pastimes, and, as the growth of online dealership bring with it new exposure to rare and wonderful issues, there is no better time to begin.
This is the ultimate expert guide to coins and coin collecting. An in-depth introduction to the origins, anatomy and usage of coins looks at the birth of the world's first currencies, and how their inscriptions, denominations and designs offer valuable insight into the societies and rulers that created them. The evolution of coin production is explored, describing the metals used ? from electrum and fine gold to debased silver and alloys as well as the various methods of inscription, ranging from the lifelike, hand-struck portraits of Renaissance Italy to the intricacy of intaglio and the revolutionary designs precipitated by photo-mechanical methods.
- A full-colour global directory of the world's greatest coins, featuring photographs of over 2500 issues from more than 200 countries.
- An expert guide to understanding and acquiring coins, from rare issues through to commemoratives, by one of the world's foremost collectors.
- A thorough introduction to the history of coin production around the world, from the origins of coinage in the seventh century BC, to its subsequent development by Alexander the Great, Cleopatra and Napoleon, through to its continuing role in modern society today.
- Fully illustrated with over 3000 life-size colour images of wonderful coins, including the boat-shaped issues of ancient Byzantium, the bronze tokens of the Chinese dynasties, the inspirational Spanish pieces of eight - forerunner of the US dollar - the emergency World War One issues, the Vatican coins, and many many more.
- Step-by-step photographic instructions on how to mount coins expertly for display, and how to restore the condition of antique coins.
- Practical advice on collecting coins, with tips on how to research, organize and build your collection including the internet marketplace.