This is a completely new type of dictionary that will help students write and speak natural-sounding English.
Level: Upper-Intermediate to Advanced
- Collocations - common word combinations such as 'bright idea' or 'talk freely' - are the essential building blocks of natural-sounding English. The dictionary contains over 150,000 collocations for nearly 9,000 headwords.
- The dictionary shows all the words that are commonly used in combination with each headword: nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and prepositions as well as common phrases.
- The dictionary is based on the 100 million word British National Corpus. Internet searches were made to ensure the most up-to-date usage for fast changing areas of language such as computing.
- Over 50,000 examples show how the collocations are used in context, with grammar and register information where helpful.
- The clear page layout groups collocations according to part of speech and meaning, and helps users pinpoint speedily the headword, sense and collocation they need.
- Usage notes show collocations shared by sets of words such as languages and seasons.
- It is an ideal companion volume to the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary.